High level of blood sugar resulting either from reduced formation of insulin in the body or increased demands is commonly called diabetes.
Diabetes Care available at DMC Hospital & Trauma Centre Jalandhar, Punjab INDIA
- Advanced Diabetes and Heart Care
- Diabetic Foot Care
- Care for Diabetic Neuropathy
Why to Care:
Diabetes currently affects 62 million Indians and nearly 1 million Indians die due to diabetes every year.
What is Diabetes ?
High level Â of blood sugarÂ resulting Â either from reduced formation ofÂ insulin in the body orÂ increased demands is commonly called diabetes.
Is Diabetes A Disease of Old Age ?
Not at all.
Types of Diabetes
- Type I Diabetes: This type can occur at any age but is more commonly in children and adolescents.
- Type II Diabetes: Type II commonly occurs after or around age of 40. The single most common risk factor leading to type II diabetes is weight gain and obesity. Sedentary life style and lack of activity, poor eating habits and stress are common culprits in a modern lifestyle leading to obesity and consequently diabetes.
When to See a Doctor
Routine medical check up for all individuals after age of 40 is mandatory. Major symptoms of diabetes are –
- Excessive thirst
- Excessive hunger
- Weight loss
- Frequent skinÂ infections
- Frequent urination and night time frequency
- Difficulty in vision.
- Numbness of hands and feet
What if You don’t Care
Diabetes progresses with time and if ignored it affects and has potential to damage almost all major organs of the body.
Common complications are:
- Hypertension and Heart disease .
- Blurring and eventually loss of vision.
- Numbness and eventually long term weakness and paralysis of hands & feet.
- Diabetic footÂ ulcers that may lead toÂ amputation/loss of aÂ limb.
- Skin disease andÂ ulcers.
- KidneyÂ disease that mayÂ eventually require regularÂ dialysis.
Is Diabetes Treatable ?
Yes. Expert medical care along with diet control and lifestyle changes can not only help a patient to lead a healthy life but also prevent major complications and eventually save a life.